If there is someone who knows the power of hard work, it’s Daymond John. As a young man growing up in the neighborhood of Hollis, Queens, Daymond's entrepreneurial talent took off when he started a clothing line with a $40 budget. At the time, Daymond was hand-sewing hats between his shifts at Red Lobster. And today, Daymond's company, FUBU, has over $6 billion in sales.
Daymond is not only one of the most successful fashion icons of his generation but is also a sought-after motivational speaker and branding expert. He is a beloved “Shark” on ABC’s hit show Shark Tank and a best-selling author. Daymond is an incredible example of how a combination of hard work, overcoming obstacles, passion, and creativity is a recipe for success.
In this episode, Randall and Daymond talk about Daymond’s experience with dyslexia, starting FUBU and the struggles he overcame on his path to excellence, the importance of keeping an open mind and entertaining all opportunities, and Daymond shares the meaning behind his S.H.A.R.K. acronym.
- What Daymond learned from seeing his mother struggle
- Why you need to have an entrepreneurial mindset no matter what
- Hacking yourself and the importance of ownership
- The reasons why people buy clothes
- The name FUBU and what he was trying to create
- Cold calling as a factor in success
- The “Boom” moment of entrepreneurship
- The growth of FUBU
- The importance of work ethic
- When to give up your day job
- Why he decided to host Shark Tank
- Napoleon Hill’s book, Think and Grow Rich
- The importance of creativity and persistence
- How Daymond defines success
- Advice on finding the right work-life balance
- Philanthropy and giving back
- Fill in the blank to excellence
- And other topics…
Daymond John is an American businessman and investor, best known as the founder and CEO of the American apparel company FUBU. Daymond is also the New York Times bestselling author of The Power of Broke. His most recent book is Rise and Grind. Daymond also stars as a "Shark" on ABC's hit show Shark Tank.
Daymond’s impressive accolades include Brandweek Marketer of the Year, the Advertising Age Marketing 1000 Award for Outstanding Ad Campaign, Crain's Business of New York Forty Under Forty Award, and Ernst & Young’s New York Entrepreneur of the Year Award.
Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill: https://www.amazon.com/Think-Grow-Rich-Landmark-Bestseller/dp/1585424331/